In 1925, Ballard won its first state championship in high school basketball. Basketball games were played at the Macon City Auditorium. When possible the games were doubled headers girls first and the boys second with Coach Barrow coaching the boys and Coach Ryan coaching the girls. The school also had what were called sub-varsity teams the Greens and the Whites. The played against each other when there was no opponent for the girls basketball team to play in a doubleheader.
Starting in the 1920s, the boys and girls would travel to Alabama to play the Tuskegee High School Tigers. In 1941, they defeat Tuskegee by a score of 50-25 in 1941. In an example of inner-city rivalry: the Macon Telegraph sports headline from March 15, 1941, read Ballard Wins Doubleheader Basketball Game from Hudson. The annual Negro Basketball Classic was held at the Macon Auditorium, with faculty members of the Fort Valley State College and a training project in Houston County serving as referees.